Body hair has always been a taboo topic in society, even though everyone has it! Everyone chooses to deal with their body hair in different ways and it is nothing to be ashamed of because everyone has their own personal preferences. It is important to note that you do not have to remove your body hair and there is nothing regarding hygiene that forces one to do so. As long as you are keeping yourself clean and fresh (especially in this summer heat *whew*) who cares how much hair you have?? Personally, for me I choose to shave and wax. I shave my legs and underarm hair and get Brazilian waxes for my nether regions. Before I speak on my experiences I would like to remind all of my readers that I am by no means an expert and these are my OWN, PERSONAL experiences. When figuring out what you want to do make sure you do your research and figure out what is right for you.
I started getting Brazilians right before my 21st birthday last year. My roommate and I decided to try it and I have been obsessed every since. We looked up a few places and decided to go with the European Wax Center that was in our area. Getting waxes done professionally can be a little pricey, but I think it is worth it for the work that is being done. I will not lie to you all, it HURT. The pain was crazy, but it only lasts for a few seconds and the wax specialists applies pressure to the area right after and it is fine. The whole process in itself takes less than 30 minutes and it goes by a lot faster than I thought it would. I was very happy with my pubic area after it was done and the pain was definitely worth it. Fortunately the pain lessens each time you go. After the third time I will say the pain is definitely bearable, and taking pain killers a few hours before your wax definitely helps.
I have been getting waxes ever since then and I believe it was definitely the right move for me. Here are a few pros that I have noticed from waxing:
- Before, when I would shave the area I would get razor bumps and irritating ingrown hairs, however I never get those after my waxes. The area is always very soft and smooth.
- It takes my pubic hair a lot longer to grow back than it did when I would shave. I would usually have to shave every week or so, with waxes the hair takes a lot more time to grow. It does not grow back long enough for me to even be able to get another wax until a month later and I can sometimes go a few more weeks after that before I feel like I really need one.
- When the hair does grow back it is a lot softer and thinner. After shaving, pubic hair usually grows back sharply and prickly, because it is essentially just being cut off. However, when you wax, the hair is being taken directly from the root, so that sharp edge is not being left on it.
- I know all of the hair is being taken off. Sometimes when I shave myself I may miss a section or I do not get it as well as I want to, however with Brazilians everything is gone.
As life goes, everything also has cons, here are the few that I have for waxing:
- While razors and shaving cream can be about $20, waxing averages about $50. I have seen some places that charge less but you always have to make sure that where you go is safe, clean, and professional.
- Once you start waxing it is recommended that you continue waxing. If you choose to shave after, the hair can grow back thicker and you’ll get that sharpness again. You will basically be at square one again.
- Of course the pain, but that does subside after a while.
That is why I choose to get waxes and it works for me. This post is to give you my personal opinion on the topic, but make sure to do all of your own research before making a decision! Do you wax? Ever thought about getting one? Let me know in the comments!